Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sleeping by the Fishes


My father loves fish. One day, when I was little, he decided he wanted a fish pond. Telling my mother of his vision of a backyard oasis replete with two fish ponds brimming with enormous Japanese koi, she quickly dismissed this notion as a passing fancy; another one of his ridiculous, destructive decorating schemes.

He waited until she was at work, borrowed a jack hammer and went to town on our backyard. Twenty years later there are indeed two fish ponds in their backyard (I have long since moved) brimming with small to medium-sized koi, a fountain and two benches; his dream fully realized.

I painted "I Pesci" in honor of my father. A tribute to the fish for a man obsessed.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Fabulous fish, I really like the way you've done the fins, beautiful x

Edcooper_art said...

Cool blog, really like your style!

Chocolate and Steel said...

That is such a great story! I would love to come home and find two fish ponds in my backyard

Julz Nally said...

That's a great story ;) i love the fish on the dark background. Fabulous job Cara!

Luky said...

Beautiful stuff here!l love the last one with with the fish!! Love it!!

Manda said...

great story, great fish painting!

Hadley Makes said...

I want a fish pond!

painted fish studio said...

your father and i have the same love/fascination with fish... i wish i had a koi pond, but i am not handy with a jack hammer. i love the piece you made in his honor!